Applying henna or mehndi on our hands is one of the most integral parts of our Indian tradition. Whether it is a festival or a wedding, henna application is indispensable to our culture. But the thing with henna is that it looks fresh and vibrant for a few days but once it starts to fade it starts looking patchy and uneven. This is the phase when we wish the mehndi stains to just vanish away. The best part is that it may, but you have to make some efforts to make that happen.
We have mentioned 7 simple ways which can actually fasten the process of fading your mehndi. Read on to know more.
1. Cleansing regularly with antibacterial soap- One of the easiest ways to get rid of mehndi quickly is by washing your hands frequently with an antibacterial soap. Though this method is slow but you will see the results. For best results all you have to do is wash your hands with the antibacterial soap 10-12 times a day till the time your mehndi fades away. This remedy works because anti-bacterial soaps are little harsh in nature and also inhibit exfoliating properties which helps in fading the colour of the mehndi very quickly. But keep a word of caution in mind that since you will be washing your hands this frequently they will dry up very quickly. So make sure to apply a thick moisturizer on your hands after following this method.
2. Olive oil- You may find this one a little weird but olive oil does work in getting rid of henna quickly. Apart from the various benefits it has for our body and skin it is a potential remedy to remove mehndi. The olive oil works as an emulsifier and dissolves the henna thus making it fade away. All you have to do is apply olive oil all over your hands and massage it gently. You can also add some salt to the oil in order to fasten the process. Let the oil get absorbed in your hands. You can wash your hands after 15-20 minutes. You can repeat this remedy several times a day as this does not have any side effects.
3. Salt water soak- Another great way of getting rid of mehndi at home quickly is by soaking your hands in salt water. Salt is an amazing cleanser and soaking your hand sin salt water on a regular basis will make the mehndi fade away really quickly. All you need to do is take a bowl filled with water and put 1 tsp. sea salt in it. Soak your hands in this salt solution for 15 minutes and then wash with plain water. To get faster results, try this remedy once every day till the colour fades away. Soaking your hands in salt water every day may leave them dry so make sure to apply a moisturizer or hand lotion post this remedy.
4. Lemon- Lemon is a powerful natural bleaching agent and thus with the regular application can fade away henna. Apart from the bleaching properties, lemons do have exfoliating properties which add to the process. So in order to use lemon for fading the henna you can either you can apply the lemon juice directly onto your hands or you can soak your hands in lemon water. Both the methods are really effective and works really well. Try not to overdo this remedy. Once or twice a day is more than enough. Also, make sure that there are no cuts or wounds on your hands as the lemon juice can make them even worse. After you are done with the remedy, massage your hands with a thick cream or lotion.
5. Use a face scrub- You can also use an external exfoliator to fade away the mehndi. The best way to get rid of mehndi is by exfoliation thus face scrubs work really well in getting rid of henna quickly. Start with taking a dollop of your favourite scrub on your palms and scrub your hands with it for 3-4 minutes. Repeat this remedy every day till the mehndi starts to fade away. The beads in the scrub gently exfoliate the henna to fade away. But make sure not to rub your hands vigorously as you may end up bruising your hands. This remedy will fasten the fading but it will take some time for the mehndi to vanish completely.
6. Bleach- Now this one is a sure shot way which will give you quick and satisfactory results. For this remedy, you can use the bleach that you use for your face. Prepare the mix as per instructions and apply the prepared mix on your hands. Let the bleach on your hands for the stipulated time and then wash it off with water. This remedy is safe to be used only once as the bleach is really harsh and abrasive in nature. But before trying out this remedy make sure to do a patch test and look for any reaction or allergies. The bleach will also cause some irritation, itching and burning sensation anyways, so be ready for that.
7. Toothpaste- Don’t get surprised. Apart from cleaning your teeth toothpaste work just as fine to clean your jewellery, remove stains and can even fade away the mehndi really quickly. Toothpaste have ingredients which can help fade away the henna stains thus making it a perfect remedy for removing mehndi stains. All you have to do is apply a layer of toothpaste on your palms and leave it on to dry. Once dry, remove it by rubbing it off. Follow this remedy till you achieve desired results, but don’t do it on an everyday basis. Toothpaste can be very harsh on your skin so make sure to do this on every alternate day.